Thursday, October 18, 2007

In Remembrance

Tonight, Women's Resource Center will hold our 16th Annual Candlelight Vigil, where we will read aloud the names of 70 individuals whose lives were taken in the past year in incidents of domestic violence. Statistics show that somewhere between 1 in 4 and 1 in 3 women in Georgia will experience abuse by an intimate partner during her lifetime. Georgia also ranks 7th in the country in the number of women killed by men.

Please join us and approximately 200 other community members as we remember these women, men, and children. The Vigil will take place at the Decatur Gazebo behind the historic courthouse at 101 East Court Square beginning at 7pm. If you cannot attend, please observe a moment of silence and solidarity at 7:30, when we will begin the candlelighting.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That was my first vigil and I loved it! It was so nice to see people from the community (including friends, judges, and the sheriff!) come together to stand up against domestic violence. I was deeply touched.

Anonymous said...

I have been attending the Candle Light Vigil for over ten years now. I have seen it grow from a very small gathering to the community event that it is now. My 6 year old son has also been attending the vigil since he was 2 years old. My wish is that he and I can attend the vigil each year together as he matures as a boy, young man and a man. My other hope is that the meaning behide this powerful vigil will be apart of him for the rest of his life.

Women's Resource Center said...

You can see photos from the event here.